This is a guest post from one of our contributors in sunny Australia… Thanks Kate!

When you are shifting homes, you need a comprehensive moving checklist for a stress-free house move. Doing so makes the entire ordeal of packing and moving locally or interstate far more manageable. Hiring a removalist in Perth will make this job much easier for you.

But the biggest aspect to remember is about moving from a rented home to an owned home! On average, the minimum house rent to live in Australia’s most affordable capital city Perth is 385 AUD (269 USD) per week. So this amount now goes to your EMI!

Why the Difference?

Well, for starters the property or home is not yours. You could have shifted to another city or state because of work. If the arrangement is temporary, you obviously would rent.

Unlike an owned home, you will have restrictions on making interior or structural changes. It is possible that the apartment has pre-owned furniture?

So, let understand the advantages of homeownership over rental accommodations:

Pros of living in one’s own home, rather than a rented home are:

  • You have a sense of security and pride as a homeowner
  • No worries about having to face increasing rentals.
  • With home loans, you are already aware of the EMI required to be paid over the long term
  • Future costs are predictable and more stable
  • Amount paid towards rental is getting paid as EMI for home
  • Less of interference in your life, when you live in your own home

Things that you should Know when Renting a Home

What’s included in a rented property?

Here are few things that are generally included, but it is recommended that you check on the same:

  •         heating
  •         hot water systems
  •         light fittings
  •         stoves/ovens
  •         carpets
  •         curtains or blinds
  •         kitchen cupboards

Understand the Terminology

If you are new to Australia or an ex-pat, then make an effort to learn the local lingo to facilitate the search. Unlike the U.S., apartments are known as “flats” in Australia. The term “house” refers to large houses with outdoor spaces. Flats with just one room are called “studio flats” or “studios.” And the term “unit” defines large apartments that are separated but built into blocks.

Hire an Agent

It is recommended that you hire an agent or real estate agency to manage ownership properties. As a rule, the agents don’t rent out a property without a tenant having viewed it in person first.

Make sure that you visit the open house where more than one person can visit the space at a time. Carry your documents so that if you like the place, you can put in an application on the spot.

Putting in the Application

Ideally, it is advised that you carry documents along with you to the open house. These include:

  •         proof of identity (must satisfy 100 point check)
  •         proof of income/bank statements for the last three months
  •         references (in case you don’t have a previous landlord or they are overseas, an employer is an acceptable alternative)
  •         employment details
  •         prior rental agreements
  •         down payment (which is generally returned if you fail to get the property)

Check the Contract

Unlike other countries, Australia has no restrictions on how much deposit you need to pay in advance to secure a space. But you have to put down a security deposit, known as a bond. The amount may vary depending on the builder/owner.

The Contract Details

This is probably the most important document that a homeowner should check. It is a document to protect the property owner from any damages to space or unpaid rent/bills. The bond is held by an independent government-owned body. It can be for 6-12 months.

Before signing the Contract you should check:

  • If the unfurnished apartment has appliances like a washer, dryer, and refrigerator
  • Are these appliances in working order
  • If furnished, is there an inventory list
  • If there is something missing, make sure the cost is excluded from the bond

Ensure the Contract has your:

  • Name, address, phone number, & registration number of the agent (if you buy via an agent)
  • Previous landlord’s name, address & phone number (if applicable)
  • Name of owner(s) in the agreement
  • Address of the home
  • Total bond amount
  • Deposit guarantee bond (comes from the insurance company)
  • Who would pay for water supply and use
  • List of all domestic appliances
  • Additional terms like pet clause
  • Date and signature of all parties

Since you are moving to your own home from a rented one, check with a removalist in Perth. Do you want to keep some furniture in your older home or take it with you? As professional removalists in Perth we at CTmovers, ensure that we help you shift from your current home to a new property — taking care of all the requirements during the process.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.