Decluttering is never an easy task but by focusing on the benefits of an organised home you can stay motivated to complete the job. Organising your stuff can lead to a calmer, happier and healthier home life so it is definitely worth the effort.
Decluttering is a difficult task for anyone, even those who are relatively well-organised, there is no doubt about that. Choosing to throw out things that we still like is a tough path to tread, but one which is necessary if we are feeling stifled by our cluttered home and want to make a fresh start. Focusing on the benefits we can enjoy after we have effectively decluttered can help us to stay motivated, and can ensure we stay dedicated to the project, no matter how tough it gets! Here are just a few of the major benefits we can look forward to at the end of a de-cluttering project, which will hopefully help you to complete the job. By focussing on these benefits it will help you to get the task done as quickly and as thoroughly as possible:
- Use your furniture as it was intended: If your dining room table is more often used as a dumping ground than a family meal, then a good declutter is likely to bring your family back together at meal times by giving you a pleasant space where you can eat, chat and relax together.
- See your treasures: When you shelves are so cluttered, it is difficult to pick out the beautiful objects from the junk and the everyday objects. Decluttering will enable you to give your very best possessions pride of place, so that everyone can see them and enjoy them.
- More help: When the house is relatively easy to tidy, and everything has a place, children and other family members will be more inclined to help you tidy up. Because the house will spend more time tidy, you will also find people more inclined to do a bit of cleaning now and then, because they haven’t got to move a tonne of stuff first before you can dust or vacuum.
- More time: Because your home will be more orderly, it will be much easier for you to stay on top of things like cleaning and washing, leaving you more time for the things you really enjoy or simply to put your feet up and relax. Because everything in your home has its own place, you’ll know where things like your keys, wallet, passport and other important items are straight away, thereby eliminating the typical searching time required to locate these objects.
- More fun: When your home is clean and tidy the majority of the time, you’ll be able to have visitors over more often and at shorter notice, helping you to enjoy a better social life all round.
- Better health: Living in a clean and tidy environment has been proven to have certain health benefits. These include:
- Better sleep
- Reduced stress
- Less colds and flu
- Less depression
- More motivation
- More resilient to other stresses
No matter how hard you think it will be, decluttering has so many remarkable benefits on you, your family and your home, you’ll be glad you did it. There may never be a good time to make a fresh start so forget the delaying tactics and just get started because now is as good a time as any to sort out that clutter. And remember that if you really can’t bear to part with certain possessions but they are just taking up too much of the valuable space in your home then why not rent a self-storage unit and use it as storage overflow?